Career Center » Career Technical Education & Apprenticeships

Career Technical Education & Apprenticeships

Career Technical Education (CTE)
Career and technical education (CTE) programs in high school are rising in popularity, and it’s no wonder why! Not only can these courses help students explore, select, and define a career or field of interest, but also they can support students learn soft skills that are highly prized by the job market.
CTE Classes Available to Foothill Students
(Planned for 2019-20 and subject to change)

You may request the following CTE classes during the annual registration period February 1 to February 15, 2019. 

ROP students will be notified of next steps, which may require a mandatory orientation for students and parents.


The FHS College & Career Specialist, Mrs. Simmons, and your alpha counselor are ready and happy to answer your questions. Additional TVROP information is available in the Foothill College & Career Center.

Post-secondary CTE/Trade Schools
The terms technical schools, vocational schools, career technical education schools and trade schools are often used interchangeably.  A trade school or career college offers specialized training to students who are interested in a particular industry or career. At these colleges, students are not required to take general education classes in all subjects. You take classes only in your field of study, such as culinary arts, firefighting, dental hygiene, cosmetology, computer technology or medical records technology.
Career technical education is a prime choice for students who know what career they'd like, including which industry and job. Students who complete the program get a certificate of completion or an associate degree. Students who graduate from a vocational college are prepared to enter the workforce.
Certificate Programs
Certificate programs are offered at career training schools, community colleges, career colleges and online schools and allow students to learn specific career skills in order to obtain a job or specialize in their careers.  Professional bodies and corporations also award professional certifications, generally following successful completion of an exam. Some professional non-degree certifications may need to be renewed periodically, while others must only be completed once.
Some students choose to obtain certification instead of obtaining a degree, while others take certificate programs to enhance the degrees they've completed.  A professional or trade certification is a designation that demonstrates a worker's qualification to perform his or her job. Non-degree certification often increases chances for employment or promotion.
Explore post-secondary CTE/Trade School options:
Apprenticeship is a kind of job training that involves following and studying a master of the trade on the job instead of in school. Carpenters, masons, doctors, and many other professionals often learn their trade through apprenticeship.
The word apprenticeship comes from the Old French aprentiz meaning "someone learning" and the Anglian suffix -scip, meaning "state, condition of being." An apprenticeship is when someone is in a state or condition of learning from a master in a field. Some professions even have apprenticeship programs like the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers where you can be assigned to apprentice, or study under a professional electrician.
 Explore Apprenticeship options:


What is ROP?

The Tri-Valley Regional Occupational Program (ROP) provides hands-on career exploration and training to high school students throughout the Tri-Valley.  Courses are held on high school campuses in the Dublin, Livermore, and Pleasanton school districts. 


What are the benefits of taking a ROP Course?

Experience is the best teacher. ROP can help you get the experience you will need to get a job of your choice and will help you update your existing skills or train in a new field. ROP prepares students to obtain jobs to support the ever-increasing costs of college and promotes further advanced education in particular career areas.

Successful completion of a ROP class counts toward your elective credits required for graduation. The number of credits earned varies depending on the class.

For more information visit the ROP website at Tri-Valley ROP: TVROP


How Do You Enroll in ROP Classes?

You may enroll in ROP classes during the annual registration period February 1 to February 15, 2019. For some classes, you can also add at the beginning of the semester with a schedule change request.

The FHS College & Career Specialist, Mrs. Simmons, and your alpha counselor are ready and happy to answer your questions. Additional ROP information is available in the Foothill  College & Career Center.


**When registering for ROP classes, please note those classes which are located on other campuses as you will be responsible for transportation and timely arrival.**
Learn more about TVROP and getting real-world experience in high school by watching this recent TVROP (TriValley Regional Occupational Program) segment on NBC Bay Area