Pleasanton Unified School District’s student dress code supports equitable educational access and is written in a manner that does not reinforce stereotypes. To ensure effective and equitable enforcement of this dress code, school staff shall enforce the dress code consistently and in a manner that does not reinforce or increase marginalization or oppression of any group based on race, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, cultural observance, household income or body type/size.
The district and school dress code shall be strictly enforced on the Foothill High School campus and at any school-sponsored activity.
- All students should be able to dress comfortably for school and engage in the educational environment without fear of or actual unnecessary discipline or body shaming.
- All students and staff should understand that they are responsible for managing their own personal "distractions" without regulating individual students' clothing/self-expression.
- Student dress code enforcement should not result in unnecessary barriers to school attendance.
- Maintain a safe learning environment.
- Allow students to wear clothing of their choice that is comfortable.
- Allow students to wear clothing that expresses their self-identified gender.
- Allow students to wear religious attire without fear of discipline or discrimination.
- Prevent students from wearing clothing or accessories with offensive images or language, including profanity, hate speech, and pornography.
- Prevent students from wearing clothing or accessories that denote, suggest, display or reference alcohol, drugs or related paraphernalia or other illegal conduct or activities.
- Prevent students from wearing clothing or accessories that will interfere with the operation of the school, disrupt the educational process, invade the rights of others, or create a reasonably foreseeable risk of such interference or invasion of rights.
- Prevent students from wearing clothing or accessories that reasonably can be construed as being or including content that is racist, lewd, vulgar or obscene, or that reasonably can be construed as containing fighting words, speech that incites others to imminent lawless action, defamatory speech, or threats to others.
- Students in Pleasanton Unified School District are “showing up for work”; therefore, they should make every attempt to be in “professional student” clothing for their work day. The dress code is meant to inspire pride and confidence for success as students grow toward entry into the 21st-century professional work environment.
Pleasanton Unified School District expects that all students will dress in a way that is
appropriate for the school day or for any school-sponsored event. Student dress choices
should respect the district’s intent to sustain a community that is inclusive of a diverse range of
NOTE: FOR FULL TEXT OF THESE BOARD APPROVED POLICIES, PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE DOCUMENTS BELOW.