Pupil Dress Code - ADMINISTRATIVE REGULATIONS
These regulations specify standards of student dress that promote a positive and safe learning environment conducive to high academic and behavioral standards. Each School Site Council or other school committee shall regularly review the following regulations and may establish additional school rules governing student dress, so long as such rules are not contrary to this regulation. The district and school dress code shall be strictly enforced on the Foothill High School campus and at any school-sponsored activity.
Pupils must dress appropriately for educational activities in which they will participate. Any apparel, jewelry, grooming, or accessories, even if not specifically mentioned below, which creates a safety or health concern, endangers the welfare of the student or others, or causes or threatens to cause a disruption to the educational process is prohibited.
- Clothes, apparel or attire must be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. Clothing, apparel or attire that fails to provide adequate coverage of the body, including but not limited to, see-through or fishnet fabrics, bare midriffs, tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, spaghetti strap tops, off-the-shoulder or low-cut tops or dresses, skirts and shorts, which are shorter than mid-thigh in length, sagging pants, and tattered or torn clothing, are prohibited.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Clothing, grooming, accessories, and jewelry shall be free of writing, pictures, symbols or any other insignia which are crude, vulgar, profane, obscene, libelous, slanderous, or sexually suggestive. Clothing, grooming, accessories or jewelry that degrade any cultural, religious or ethnic values or which advocate racial, ethnic, or religious prejudice or discrimination, or which promote sex, the use of tobacco, drugs, or alcohol or any unlawful acts, are prohibited.
- Hats, caps, and other head coverings shall not be worn in classrooms, except for valid medical reasons authorized by the administration and verified in writing by a physician.
- Dark glasses shall not be worn indoors, except for valid medical reasons authorized by the administration and verified in writing by physician.
- Any clothing, apparel or attire which could be used as a weapon, or could be damaging to school property, included, but not limited to, steel-toed boots, chains, items with spikes or studs, etc., are prohibited.
- Gang-related apparel is prohibited, including, but not limited to, bandannas, or other symbols, emblems, or insignia.
- Pupils shall not display any material which so incites others as to create a danger of the commission of unlawful acts on school grounds, disrupts the school process or violates district or school site policies or rules.
- Clothing, grooming, accessories, or jewelry which have been altered by the addition of lettering or symbols and fall within the definition of part 8 above, are prohibited.
Exceptions may be made by the principal particularly for special days, special events, or activities. Any violation of the district or school dress code(s) will be considered a violation of Education Code section 48900 (k) -- disruption of school activities and/or willful defiance of valid school personnel authority. Consequences will be specified in each school discipline plan but may include suspension or recommendation for expulsion. Final determination of what constitutes appropriate dress will be made by the school administration.