Parents are invited to hear these informative presentations every period in the multipurpose room. Click here for the bell schedule.
Mike Martin and Bill Green of the Viet Nam Veterans of Diablo Valley are the featured speakers on May 23. The group's website notes that the purpose of the presentations is not to tell war stories, but to help the audience understand what the individual veteran's personal responsibilities were, ranging from combat and infantry to aviation and supply.
The typical format includes an introduction, including some interesting statistics about the war. Each veteran then speaks briefly about his or her personal experience before, during and after the war. There is time at the end for questions and answers, which is always rewarding for the students and veterans.
Select history students were recently treated to a presentation by Vietnam vet Bob Pace, the recipient of three Purple Hearts.
"It was such a powerful experience that students really appreciated," teacher David Middleton said.
Students throughout Foothill have benefited from hearing from a wide assortment of distinguished speakers this school year. Recent speakers include:
- Alexander Jefferson, Tuskegee Airman
- Ruth Gasten, who fled Nazi Germany
- Byron Williams, syndicated columnist and author of 1963: The Year of Hope and Hostility
- Singers from the Livermore Valley Opera
- Bob Pace, Vietnam veteran and recipient of three Purple Hearts
- Christen Hardee, San Jose State University assistant softball coach
- James Hodgins, played for the Rams, Cardinals and Jets and won one Super Bowl ring
- Guy McIntyre, San Francisco 49ers
- Napoleon Kauffman, Oakland Raiders
- Casey Chavez, Oakland Athletics
- Matt Overton, Indianapolis Colts
Thank you to Foothill's outstanding teachers for seeking out these special speakers to bring history and education alive for our students.